December 01 2021 – C. Shanice
It’s finally that time of the year where we are surrounded by our family, favorite foods and all things SWEET and delicious:-) Yuuuuuummmm! But before that, let’s talk about how we can indulge this holiday season without compromising the health of our skin. After all, we want to maintain all the hard work you’ve put in so far. First, we need to pinpoint the intrinsic and extrinsic factors that can affect the health of our skin.
What are Intrinsic factors?
“Intrinsic, our body’s internal, health affects how we feel as well as how our body and skin look and perform”. Intrinsic factors are GENETICS, HORMONAL IMBALANCES, DEHYDRATION and POOR NUTRITION. Here are some simple tips to help keep those intrinsic factors in check!
- Get some REST! Some of us have a tendency to stress a lot during the holiday season sending your hormones crazy. Before ya know it BOOM, you’ve got a nasty breakout. Take advantage to just be still, calm and breathe. Most importantly be present with your loved ones.
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake! We know its gonna be lit, lol but please drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Dehydrated skin can cause dry flaky patches and breakouts by upsetting your skins barrier function.
- We can’t wait to get our hands on that sweet potato pie and neither can you but hold on, not too much now! Acne prone skin loves sugar!
What are Extrinsic factors?
Extrinsic factors influence the health and look of your skin externally. This can come from how you use products on your skin—which includes topical medication, as well as environmental influences.
Exposure to pollutants, sun damage, smoking and lack of sleep are all major extrinsic factors that can lead to various skin conditions such as hyperpigmentation, premature aging, tired/swallow looking skin and in more serious cases, skin cancer. Knowing how to combat extrinsic factors is very important. You can combat extrinsic factors by wearing sunscreen, getting 6-8 hours of sleep, being mindful of the topical products that you’re using on your skin, consistency with your skin care routine, and knowing what treatments are right for your skin, especially if medication is involved for any health reason. SPF sunscreen, Serums and Cleansers are all types of products that can help to combat extrinsic factors. Here are a few of our faves
- “Liposomal 20% Vitamin C” serum (Antioxidant for Brightening & Protection against environmental pollutants)
- “Vita B35” Serum (Niacinamide & Hyaluronic acid for soothing redness/inflammation and moisture retention)
- “Daily Prevention” SPF Sunscreen (Prevents Sun damage)
- Sensitive Cleansing Oil (Breaks down and washes away dirt, sebum & makeup)
Let’s look at what treatments will help to combat extrinsic factors:
- “The “10” Custom Facial”: a custom facial is done with your concerns in mind and utilizes effective ingredients to provide results.
- HydroDermabrasion: minimizes fine lines and wrinkles, hydrates, tightens and infuses nutrients to for a healthy barrier.
- Microneedling: Anti-aging treatment that lifts hyperpigmentation and gives the skin a more long lasting youthful glow.
- Chemical peels: AHA's, BHA's & Enzymes. Can be done alone or added to facial treatments to clear pores, brighten, even skin tone or reduce breakouts.
The right products and treatments does wonders for the skin! Any of these treatments or products above will have you ready to take on the holiday without compromising your beautiful skin. Because yes, your beauty is Skin deep…literally. And the better you take care of your skin, the more beautiful you will feel in it.